'If I am through learning, I am through.' Coach John Wooden, February 2000
Look to the left for:
1 - Lesson Plans
2 - Worksheets (With Solar Cooker Info)
3 - Club Pages (Enviro & YBTC)
Colleges and approximate cut scores for ACT and GPA:
Colleges and cut scores for ACT and GPA - Nov 2016 - Satarino.docx
Colleges and cut scores for ACT and GPA - Nov 2016 - Satarino.pdf
2016/17 MACAT SUPPLY LETTER:
MACAT Supply letter 2016-17 - Fall 2016 version
MACAT and MACAT Science Fall 2016 Conference Letters
Please note that the conference time will be very tight, as conferences are scheduled from 5:30-8:30pm on Wed., Oct. 19, 2016.
MACAT Science Conference Guidelines letter handed out in class on 19 Oct: Fall 2016 MACAT Science conference guidelines.doc
MACAT general letter sent home with hours 3-4 on Mon, hours 1-2 on Tues: MACAT conf letter 2016-17.pdf
REMIND - Updated on 14 June 2016 - 2:45pm
Please sign up for my Remind texts or emails. It's actually a modified Twitter account that I can even use from my phone, which is a reliable and simple way for me to communicate reminders.
Your data will be confidential - this means that I can't see your phone numbers or email addresses.
To RECEIVE messages via EMAIL:
1. visit the site www.remind.com/join/mrcalkins
2. choose the "email" tab and enter your email address
3. confirm your email address when Remind sends you the initial email.
4. you can also subscribe to texts at this site, or use the process listed below the following unsubscribe directions:
To UNSUBSCRIBE from EMAIL messages, reply to any Remind email message with 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
To RECEIVE messages via TEXT,
1. text @mrcalkins to (248) 237-7997.
2. you can opt-out of messages at anytime by replying, "@LEAVE".
*Standard text message rates apply.
SIGN UP FOR MY QUIZLET CLASS: https://quizlet.com/join/7QP7xVhq3
LINK FOR ONLINE QUIZZES AND REVIEWS I CREATE TO USE IN CLASS THROUGH ILLUMINATE: https://livonia.illuminatehc.com/login
ICHAT FORM is available at the very bottom of this home page.
GREAT LINK FROM NASA AND THE ESA FOR THE ISS!
The International Space Station has a video camera that looks at the earth all the time. They have made its images available, in real time, on this cooperative site from the US and Europe.
Sometimes it's gray due to the time of day, or because the camera is not working, but the video is worth the wait!
Part of the massive pile of blankets prior to the start of work on Dec 20, 2013
Kayla T. with the first blanket and a counter full of more to be made - 2013
In the menu on the left, you will find sub pages for this page and the site, including club info/permission slips, lesson plans, and the latest classwork and homework sheets.
My wish list - May 23, 2016 update:
It's not really a consumable, but I would like to have a 12 pound bowling ball to use in class. It turns out that a 12 pound bowling ball has almost exactly the same density as water, and lighter ones float quite well. (I now have 8, 10, 13, 14, 15 and 16 pound bowling balls - two of which are mine, the other four were donated on 7 Sep 2012, 18 Sep 2013, 4 Oct 13, and 31 Oct 13 - Thanks!).
ITEMS TO BORROW:
A bike that generates power for a TV or other electronic device
A seismometer to borrow for a day or two
Fun/interesting books for students to read or use as resources in class. I tend to focus on science-related books, but others are quite welcome. Please check my classroom book list on this site to help prevent needless repetition.
I am really enjoying the series of new books by Paul Parsons that I found at Barnes and Noble. For the new year, I purchased the "3 Minute Einstein" and "30 Second Theories" for the students to read during our daily reading time. It would be great to have any of the other books in the series for use in the classroom library.
: Look at the menu on the top left side of this page to see how to complete "event" extra credit. For other items, please ask in class.
LPS FILE ACCESS FROM HOME:
OPEN OFFICE/MS WORD:
Please note that many of my files are in MS-Word - from Office 2007. Apparently they can all be opened not only with Word, but also with Open Office, which is available for free from the internet: http://www.openoffice.org/
Caitlin R. enjoys a break during a fun day of making blankets for the homeless shelter - Dec 2013
- ICHAT FORM ICHAT LETTER TO PARENTS 2016-2017.pdf
- Memo to STUDENTS about MACAT selection process (pdf file - 155 KB)
File contains the steps for MACAT admission and dates for those steps.
- pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 7 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader forPC or Macintosh.
- doc file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Word website.
- docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack.