You Be The Chemist (updated 3 Mar 2017)
Info for the parents and students in YBTC
Available in the links on the bottom of this page:
- Student packet (92 sides for 2016-17)
- Official Rules
- Educator Info
- Permission Slip
- ICHAT Form - any adults working with students need to complete this name check form that is processed to check for the type of criminal activities that are not conducive to working with students. (please turn it in at the office and let me know by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Important Age Restriction Note:
- Participants must NOT reach the age of 15 before July 1, 2017.
Important Dates/Club Meeting Dates 2016-17:
(updated regularly during "season" - last update 3 Mar 2017)
- MEETINGS WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY ROOM, WHICH IS ROOM 315
- 9 Nov 2016 (WED) - Our first meeting - room 315, Frost - packets, YBTC Remind, contact info, Quizlet, bubble lab?, chem bingo?
- 29 Nov 2016 (TUES) - meeting #2 - Lab
- 14 Dec 2016 (WED) - meeting #3 - Lab
- Jan 2017 - meeting #4
- 8 Feb 2017 - meeting #5 - qualifying exam, top 3 go to regionals
- 15 Feb, 21 Feb - meeting #6-7 - single and double replacement rxns
- 7 Mar - meeting #8 - decomposition rxn with Mrs. Withun
- 14 Mar - possible meeting
- 22 Mar 2017 - Wayne Country Regional for top 3 Frost YBTC students (see below for address:
Location change from prior years!: Wednesday, March 22nd
at Parcells Middle School (20600 Mack Avenue, Grosse Pointe
- April 2017 - State Finals tend to be in April.
YBTC Home Page
YBTC Study Materials that we made or found online
Important Dates 2015-16 (updated regularly during "season" - last update 3 Feb 2016)
- 10 Nov 2015 - Our first meeting - room 315, Frost - packets, chem bingo, Quizlet
- 1 Dec 2015 - meeting #2 - Precipitate Lab #1
- 15 Dec 2015 - meeting #3 - Precipitate Lab "redo"
- 19 Jan 2016 - meeting #4 - Burn a water balloon and burning hydrocarbons with soot formation and collection
- 3 Feb 2016 - meeting #5 - Clock reactions with starch and hydrogen peroxide (use orange dye next time)
- 23 Feb 2016 - meeting #6 - take the YBTC Qualifying Exam in room 315 at Frost.
- Names of top 3 finishers on qualifying exam are submitted to the Wayne RESA so that they can be included in the Local Challenge at the Wayne RESA.
- Finish 23 Feb with electrolysis of water lab.
- Meeting ends at 4:30 pm on 23 Feb.
- March 9, 2016 - The YBTC Wayne County Regional
- 4-7 or 8 pm
- WCCC Downriver, Ray Mix Room, 21000 Northline Road, Taylor, MI 48180 (Feb 2016 - new location due to recent issues with Wayne RESA location)
- Food and beverage will be provided to all participants and their guests.
- Conpetition starts promptly at 5pm, DON'T BE LATE!
- Sat, April 16 2016 - YBTC State challenge - Saginaw Valley State University
- June 22, 2016 - YBTC Nationals in Philadelphia
Good Links (thank you Mrs. Swantick):
- Periodic table: http://chemicool.com/ and http://www.webelements.com/zinc/
- Chemistry lesson plans: http://sciencespot.net/Pages/classchem.html
- Basic chemistry info: http://www.chem4kids.com
- More chemistry lessons including a couple of jeopardy games: http://www.quia.com/custom/3flas.html
- Element hangman: http://education.jlab.org/elementhangman/index.html
- Lessons on the periodic table: http://www.sciencejoywagon.com/chemzone/04periodic-table/
- Chemistry games: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Elementsgames.htm andhttp://www.fupa.com/games/1/chemistry.html
- Chemistry dictionary http://home.nas.net/~dbc/cic_hamilton/dictionary/a.html
- List of chemistry links http://sciencepage.org/chem.htm
Max Parr wins the state championships again:
- pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 7 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh
- docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack.